Nothing screams 90’s nostalgia more than a can of Alphabet soup. With a close second being kool-aid and jello.
We wanted to recreate that feeling of looking for your name in a bowl of alphabet soup for our own kids (and grown-up kids too!). And it ended up being pretty healthy too!
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
YIELD: 4-5 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil or plant-based butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 (5.5oz/156ml) can tomato paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups no-chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- ½ pkg Butcher's Select Mmm Meatballs
- 1 ½ cups alphabet pasta
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- In a medium sized pot over medium high heat, add olive oil or butter. Once hot add onions, and garlic. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Into the tomato paste mixture, add sugar, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, and broth. Mix well and bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll each meatball into 4 mini meatballs and add into the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Stir in hemp seeds, if using, and serve.
Be sure to share your Alphabet Soup and Meatballs with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.