Cornbread, while delicious, is best enjoyed with friends. Our Butcher’s Select Cajun Sausge is its ideal partner, and together they make the perfect holiday dish.
Bake your cornbread the day before so it’s ready to absorb all the herbaceous flavors. Prep the stuffing with Butcher’s Select Cajun Sausage for a little extra kick. What emerges is a great accompaniment to any Stuffed Beast dinner.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
YIELD: 8 servings
- 1 recipe Plant-based Skillet Cornbread
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned and diced OR 2 large onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup white wine, optional
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 recipe Butcher Select Cajun Sausage OR Bratwurst Sausage
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- ⅔ cups pecans or walnuts OR a mix of both
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth OR chicken-less broth
- optional: tsp plant-based Worcestershire sauce,
- Cut cornbread into 1 to 2 inch cubes. And bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45-60 min or until crisp and dried through. Alternatively, leave cornbread cubes spread on a sheet pan out on the counter for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 8 x 13in baking pan.
- In a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, add ¼ cup butter and once hot add leeks (or onion) and garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes or until tender.
- If using wine, add wine and allow to simmer until mostly evaporated or about 5 minutes.
- Add celery to the pan and crumble the sausage on top. Allow to saute for 5 minutes or until sausage is firm.
- Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in fresh herbs, and nuts.
- Combine onion mixtures with dried cornbread in a baking pan. Mixing well to combine. Pour vegetable broth overtop and dab remaining butter in small pieces over top of dressing.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before serving.
Be sure to share your Plant-based Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.