We're bringing back Penne Alla Vodka from the 1980s, Our plant-based modern counterpart is using rigatoni as a more substantial, modern noodle (in our eyes anyhow) with coconut cream instead of dairy cream, Very Good Smokin’ Bangers, and of course, vodka. It’s a recipe you can’t refuse.
Pro tip: Use a finely grated brazil nut as parmesan.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
YIELD: 3 - 4 servings
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pkg Smokin' Bangers OR A Very British Banger
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ⅔ cup vodka
- 2 (5.5oz/156ml) can tomato Paste AND 1 (14oz/400ml) can coconut milk
- 1 (28oz/796ml) can crushed tomatoes AND ½ cup raw cashews
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 lbs rigatoni pasta
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Remove sausage casing, and slice your sausage on a bias. In a lareg non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and once hot cook sausage for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons more olive oil. Once hot, add onion and saute 4 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and chili flakes and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and vodka then let cook off for about 10 minutes or until mostly cooked down, stirring occasionally.
- Add in tomato paste OR crushed tomatoes and cashews, allow to cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. After 8-10 minutes the tomato paste should be a deep red colour or the crushed tomatoes should be slightly reduced.
- If using tomato paste, add coconut milk, stir well and allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes. If using crushed tomatoes and cashews, add mixture to a blender and carefully blend until smooth.
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to recipe, reserve ½ cup pasta water, drain pasta, and set aside.
- Into sauce, add pasta, sausage, and half of the basil. Combine well, adding a small amount of pasta water to loosen sauce as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve pasta topped with remaining basil
Be sure to share your Plant-Based Rigatoni Alla Vodka creations with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers #TheVeryGoodCheeseCo and tagging @theverygoodbutchers & @theverygoodcheeseco
Shop all the plant based foods