Switch up your regular morning pastry with homemade brekkie sausage rolls. Pair creamy spinach with a hearty Butcher's Select Breakfast Sausage inside a puffed pastry for a sweet yet savoury breakfast treat. Make ahead and freeze and pop into the toaster oven anytime you need a quick, satisfying breakfast.
- 3 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 red onion, finely minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg frozen spinach, liquid squeezed out*
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp red chili flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 (8oz) pkg plant-based cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pkg crescent rolls dough, 16 regular sized crescents total
- 1 pkg Butcher Select Brekkie Sausage, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, add butter and once hot add red onion and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add spinach, garlic powder, red chili flakes, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until extra liquid has cooked out.
- Stir in cream cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Roll out crescent roll dough. At the largest part of each triangle, evenly divide spinach mixture and place half a brekkie sausage on top. Be sure the spinach mixture is room temperature or colder before placing it on dough.
- Gently roll dough from starting at the largest end and being sure to contain all spinach mixture inside the dough. Place on a sheet pan, spaced out evenly.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
*If you are using fresh spinach, cook 1 ½ pounds fresh spinach in a non-stick pan until wilted. Let cool, then squeeze out extra liquid.
Note: Upgrade this dish by serving it with this easy, creamy dip. Combine 1 pkg (8oz) plant-based sour cream; ½ lemon, juiced; ½ cup fresh chopped herbs; 3 cloves minced garlic; salt and pepper.
Be sure to share your Creamy Spinach Brekkie Sausage Rolls with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.