PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
YIELD: 1-1/4 cup dressing and 6 serving side salad
What dinner would be complete without salad? The Winter Squash Salad adds hearty goodness to the table, no matter the season.
This salad impresses with buttery roasted squash, juicy orange slices, crunchy sunflower seeds, and orange shallot dressing. Very Good Bacon ties everything together, making a side just as good as the main course (or even better!).
Winter Squash Salad
- 1 small winter squash, peeled and seeded
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 pkg Very Good Bacon, chopped
- 1 lbs brussel sprouts, finely chopped or shredded in a food processor
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, finely shredded
- 1 radicchio, finely shredded
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
Orange Shallot Dressing
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup cup white wine vinegar
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- ¾ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Slice squash into desired size. Toss in 2 tbsp oil with salt and pepper. And bake for 30-45 minutes depending on size, or until browned and soft.
- In the meantime, in a medium sized pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and saute chopped bacon for 5-8 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add brussel sprouts and kale with 1 tbsp of oil. Massage kale and brussel sprouts for 5 minutes.
- In a jar, combine all Orange Shallot Dressing ingredients and shake well. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- When ready to serve add radicchio to kale and brussel sprout mixture. Top with squash, oranges, pumpkin seeds, and bacon. Add desired amount of salad dressing, toss gently, and serve.
Be sure to share your Winter Squash Salad with Orange Shallot Dressing with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.
Shop all the plant based meat