Switch up your regular morning pastry with homemade brekkie sausage rolls. Pair creamy spinach with a hearty Butcher's Select Breakfast Sausage inside a puffed pastry for a sweet yet savoury breakfast treat. Make ahead and freeze and pop into the toaster oven anytime you need a quick, satisfying breakfast.
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: 3-4 servings
- 5 cups or 680g gem potatoes, sliced in half
- 1 pkg Butcher Select Bratwurst
- avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1 head fennel, sliced and fronds set aside
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
2 cups packed arugula
Orange Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp grainy dijon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add sliced potatoes in a large pot and cover with water and season well with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 10 minutes or until partially cooked.
- In the meantime, preheat bbq or grill. And in a large serving bowl, combine all Orange Mustard Dressing ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add par cooked potatoes, fennel, and red onions. Lightly drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Grill bratwurst on one side of the grill for 6-8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Once done, cut sausage on a diangle and add to the serving bowl.
- On the other side of the grill, add a grill basket or vegetable grate. Add potato, fennel, and red onions. Grill for 8-12 minutes or until nicely golden.
- Add vegetables directly to the serving bowl. And toss while hot in dressing.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or until just warm before mixing in arugula and fennel fronds.
Fennel Fronds are the leafy part of the fennel plant. They are full of the licorice-like flavour just like the fennel bulb. Instead of tossing them away, use them to garnish any dish you cook with fennel.
Special equipment: BBQ Basket
Be sure to share your Grilled Potato, Fennel, and Bratwurst Salad with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.