Plant-based Cheesy Root Vegetable Gratin is a perfect side dish for a holiday dinner. The vegetables are soft and sweet, the perfect pairing for our creamy Very Good Cheese Co.
Root vegetables can be mixed and matched. Use what you love or have on hand. Just be sure to have enough to fill your baking dish.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
YIELD: 6-8 side dish servings
- 2 candy cane beets
- 2 small turnips
- 2 small or 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ rutabaga
- 1 plant-based butter
- 1 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk
- fresh thyme, as desired
- 1/2 block Very Good Cheese Pepperjack or Goud AF*
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 3qt (9 x 13in) baking pan.
- Peel root vegetables and use a mandoline or knife to cut vegetables into very thin slices about 1/8in thick.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and add shallots and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until translucent and fragrant. Stir in butter and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning. Slowly add in milk, stirring often.
- Add in thyme, Very Good Cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Once cheese is melted, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Pour ½ of mixture onto bottom of baking pan. Layer vegetables on top, and pour remaining mixture on top. Spread mixture around evenly and top with more thyme.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender soft and sauce is golden.
Be sure to share your Plant-based Cheesy Root Vegetable Gratin with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.